24 February 2012

Wisdom Upon Death

Source unknown (found via Google)

I read an article in the Guardian today, that made me wonder so I wanted to share this here.

The article is about a book written by Bronnie Ware, an Australian nurse who worked for years with patients in palliative care (during the last 12 weeks of their life). The Top Five Regrets of the Dying summarizes the observations, discussions she had with her patients over the years.

Upon reading these top 5 regrets, I started thinking a lot about my own life...

  1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me. 
  2. I wish I didn't work so hard. 
  3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings. 
  4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends. 
  5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

These persons see their life ending and think back about their past, the life they had. These five points are the ones that are most commonly discussed. Have the courage to make their own life choices, pursue their dreams, enjoy their family more, and take time to keep in touch with friends. And, above all, discover that happiness is a choice.

This article made me think a lot. Shouldn't we learn this lesson of wisdom from the Dying? Being happy is a choice, is it? So isn't today the best day to choose to be happy, start pursuing one's dreams and call old friends, instead of waiting for death to remind us what we could have done?

Sources: 
The Guardian
Book: Bronnie Ware, The Top Five Regrets of the Dying
Bronnie Ware's blog: Inspiration and Chai

No comments:

Post a Comment