It's been a long time since we've gone through a level up mini-challenge around here! Big changes come with small, manageable steps, so I like to give myself mini-challenges toward a simple life once in a while. This one I have picked from the lovely Caroline from Unfancy: take 10 pieces of clothing to mix and match for 10 days.
What is this wardrobe challenge?Here is the simple version (it is a mini-challenge after all, it is supposed to be easy!). You can check Caroline's post for more details if you are interested. Basically, the idea is to select 10 pieces of clothing (tops, bottoms, dresses, shoes and outerwear). For the next 10 days, you will create your outfits only based on these.
Why does it helps with a simple life?As you may know if you've been around for a while, the consumption cycle for material items goes as this: acquire > use > discard. A simple life is about acquiring less, making the best use possible and discard carefully (cf zero waste!)
With that kind of challenge, you optimize the "use" part of the cycle: making the best of what you own and finding new ways to get creative with your items instead of buying new things.
Tips for the 10 x 10 challengeI thought a new season was the perfect moment to start such a challenge, as the weather changes and fall (or spring if you are in the southern hemisphere!) items come in, it might be a good time to play with your closet and find new combinations that will work for you in the months to come. It is also a good way to rekindle old flames instead of going shopping.
Here are a few tips to select your 10 pieces:
- Be careful of the number of each category you pick (will you be able to last 10 days with only 2 tops?)
- Think of the climate and lifestyle you'll have in the next 10 days
- Adapt it to your needs : if you have a special event, maybe you can start the challenge afterwards or make that day a "break day" from the challenge. Maybe you won't want to include shoes but put scarves in. Your challenge, your rules!
- You decide the level of challenge you'd like for this, but it might be easier to select a few neutral pieces to go with everything else (whatever neutral means to you), to make mixing and matching easier
- Remember to have fun! The goal is to enjoy the new season coming, not to add extra hassle or constraints to your life
I hope you'll join in this level up mini-challenge with me! Please let me know if you do, or if you've already done such challenges. I'd love to hear what you've learned.