20 March 2014

Detox



I stumbled upon this video on my facebook feed lately, and thought it was well worth sharing on the Nife. How is the fashion industry polluting the Earth, and how a group of people have been using the skill and creativity to change things with the Detox initiative lead by Green Peace.

As a customer, I often feel guilty for being so passive, and sometimes giving in to the convenience of fast fashion. I also feel powerless at times: even if I don't buy much overall, how can my own little choices make any difference at all?

During these times of hesitation, I like discovering initiatives such as the Detox action from Green Peace. It reminds me that we do have some power as consumers. I don't know yet how I am going to help with this, if I can even, but in the meantime, my first action will be to share this with you, spread the word.

has you heard about this before? How do you try to make a difference as a consumer?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this video. I posted it on my Facebook page, too.
    I sew some of my own clothes. Love using organic fabrics when I can.
    Enjoy you blog...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very thought provoking video indeed! I'm always impressed with people who can sew or create other similar DIY type things. Unfortunately I have neither patience nor skill to sew my own clothes, but that's a good solution for sure, even if there is still the question of the fabric provenance. Using organic fabric seems to be a good solution indeed.

      Delete
  2. This video scares the sh!t out of me.

    Unfortunately sewing your own clothing isn't necessarily going to improve or even help the problem, unless all the fabric you buy is organic and responsibly processed. As I understand it (I admit I am not terribly knowledgeable about this) the dyes used in dyeing fabric are a great part of the problem, and buying fabric that has been dyed using unethical means isn't going to help at all.

    Buying less clothing, making what we do buy last longer, not succumbing to fast fashion, and perhaps refashioning clothing from our own wardrobes or from thrift store finds, seems to be a good way to reduce the amount of crap flushed into the waterways of the world. It is however, bad news for retailers.
    It is what I am trying to do.

    Have a look at this skirt, I admit it isn't office wear, but it is a great substitute for a denim skirt.
    http://handmadebycarolyn.blogspot.ca/2014/03/patched-pockets.html

    Do a search on boro, hand patched Japanese textiles, they are beautiful, could be great inspiration for recycling jeans. Enough blabbering on.

    Great post, thanks for the link. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is scary when we see the behind the scenes of the high street stores indeed. And that's only about clothing, I can't imagine how things are for other types of items, like electronics for example.

      I agree that the best solution is mindful consumption - avoid buying more than necessary, favouring second hand. As far as sewing goes, I unfortunately have no skills whatsoever, but a solution would be to sew from second hand material, no? I'm quite admirative of what you did with that skirt by the way :)

      Delete