23 October 2013

October Scribbles

Source: instagram

I had a very interesting impro training at work yesterday, sparking a new post idea that needs to be refined and will be in the works for a few days. In the meantime, here are a few quick October notes and thoughts.

  • I finally opened an Instagram account, a few years after everyone else. Is there an opposite for hipster? Like, doing things long after they were cool?Anyway, I've opened this one to follow other people, but I found myself caught in the instant pictures game.

  • Have you seen this TED talk about the Cloud Appreciation Society? It sounds a bit weird presented like that, but I found there is a very interesting philosophy behind this movement - about appreciating not only sunny days but seeing the beauty of clouds. What about applying this to other life situations?

  • My little joy of the moment is to try different variations of Autumn cakes: pumpkin + chestnuts + spices, or carrots + figs + cinnamon...

  • The candle season has started. Even though I still light some during summer evenings, there is nothing like long cold Autumn nights to surround myself with cosy scented candles. I have been using Muji's various scents (love the Hinoki/Cedar wood one).

  • Still experimenting with my new camera, I have posted some "mini-diaporama" on my French blog, I might post some selections here too if you are interested.

11 comments:

  1. I like all these notes and thoughts! :) And I'd be very interested in seeing some of the photos from your new camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought it was a good way to gather things that don't necessarily deserve a whole post each. I still have to go through all the pictures I took since July but I'll definitely post some in the coming weeks.

      Delete
  2. I love the Cloud Appreciation Society! I stumbled on their website a few years ago and I still enjoy checking in every now and then.

    I find Instagram quite fun, although sometimes I feel a bit sheepish holding up my phone and taking pictures, like I'm some crazy social media addict who can't just enjoy something without needing to capture it on camera and share with the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Cloud Appreciation society and their pictures a lot too, I actually look at the sky much more often after discovering them.

      I see what you mean about instagram - I already did the same with Facebook anyway so it doesn't change much on the "mobile addict girl who takes pictures of her food" side. Maybe some people have presupposed ideas about that, but I've always enjoyed taking pictures so I don't mind their opinion.

      Delete
  3. Personally I LOVE that you're on instagram :) I've fallen completely out of blogger world this fall and I like being able to stay in touch with everyone via my phone! I still read every single blog I follow, but I have grown way too fond of sofas, pajamas and movie nights to actually contribute with anything myself. I think I just need to accept that I seem go into hibernation every year between September and Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I joined in the first place! I noticed that some of my favourite bloggers who don't post a lot are quite active on instagram so it is a nice and easy way to keep in touch! We all have our moments with blogging, my inspiration also comes and goes - I think it is better to make a pause until inspiration comes back rather than trying to force ourselves to post... Enjoy your hibernation :)

      Delete
  4. I love that, we need to find a word for anti-hipsters, because I'm definitely one as well! I tend to wait for everyone else to be the guinea pigs before trying something out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, same here! Maybe it just takes some time to convince me of the benefits of something. Or maybe I'm just caught in different things and find out after everyone else.

      Delete
  5. So I walked my husband to work (first day back after our holiday), took my dog for a walk, enjoyed a smoothie in a cafe and then as we came out of the cafe I sighed happily. It has come over in clouds. I just love cloudy days, the deep love brought on by the fact that they give my eyes relief from the harshness of sunlight. It makes me want to stay outside! So now I'm here catching up on more of your posts and I look forward to this TED talk!

    ReplyDelete